HOOP SISTAS Basketball Club will be formed in various parts of the country with Accra as the start, particularly areas with less-privileged girls, with the aim of empowering them by
- Teaching them to play basketball in the S.T.A.R. (Sportsmanship, Teamwork, Attitude, Respect) spirit as in the (W)NBA values
- Teaching the essence of sports, health, fitness and wellness
- Educating the girls in life and social skills – social values, self-esteem and responsibility
- Identifying girls who are talented in various fields and helping develop them to pursue their education in these areas in order to become leaders in those fields.
- Mentoring them into professionals, mothers, role models and global ambassadors (as WNBA players are).
HOOP SISTAS, will be a platform to have girls and young women learn from women leaders in their community and by so doing also improve themselves. It is an effort to engage and motivate more women to aspire to become leaders politically, socially and economically while building their physical ability through regular club meetings.
These clubs are a means of promoting women’s basketball to overcome the stereotyped view that it is only men who play any sport, including basketball, and that women’s basketball is also worth watching and celebrating. Benefits of these clubs will be that these young women and girls will also be growing and developing in their various areas of interest, while showcasing basketball as a sport to be played by women.
This helps develop women professionally, socially and personally. These clubs aspire to be the avenue through which the girls can learn and play while they in themselves aspire to lead, inspire others and create changes in their lives.